With over 20 years’ experience delivering large-scale conferences, awards and incentives under his belt, PJ has produced some seriously great events. An Awards Guru, producing impactful on-screen shows and killer walk-on playlists.
- What experience can you draw upon to successfully judge the ETAs?
25+ years’ experience delivering live events, including conferences, launches, experiential, incentives and brand experiences as well as a keen interest in all things tech.
- How long have you worked in the event industry and what keeps you interested in it?
15+ years’ growing and leading one of the most dynamic and innovative agencies in the industry.
- Best (and worst?) moments working in the events industry?
Best – working with a truly exceptional team.
Worst – running a 1,000+ attendee, pan European event in Valencia in 2010 when the volcano Eyjafjallajökull erupted the week before closing all air space in northern Europe meaning the crew and speakers had to travel to Valencia on a coach – a 24-hour journey. We arrived exhausted, just in time to start the build. The event was a success despite almost half the delegates not being able to get there. We did win a ‘triumph in the face of adversity’ award for the event though.
- Favourite piece of tech for work and personal life?
Work – our CMS system – CRM, project management and finance all rolled into one.
Personal – Garmin golf distance finding watch
- What’s your go-to piece of tech when working on an event and why?
WhatsApp comms for the crew – easy and quick.
- What was the last event on which you worked?
BP Retail Conference 2019 – July 2019 – 700 people at Celtic Manor.
- From your experience, how has tech been best utilised at an event?
The best utilisation of tech is when it’s used sympathetically to achieve the desired outcome, in my experience.
- We all learn from our mistakes! What was the biggest lesson you learned from a mistake since being in the industry?
Deal with problems quickly, decisively and efficiently. If you leave them, they have a tendency to get worse!
- What are you most looking forward to at the ETAs?
Meeting some of the true entrepreneurs in the industry.
- Why is it important to recognise the achievements of tech companies?
It’s important to recognise innovation and creative thinking in all areas of the industry, not just in tech.
- If you could only use one piece of tech when working on an event, what would that be?
Smartphone – nowadays they can do so many things we’d literally be lost without them.