Joining the Event Technology Awards’ Judging panel for 2018 is Neil Robertson-Ravo, Head of Data Platform at Ascential PLC
Company: Ascential Plc
Job Title: Head of Data Platform
- How did your career lead you to your current job?
I’ve always worked in the exhibitions sector – starting at Reed as an Analyst programmer to Head of Marketing at Top Right Group (pre- Ascential) and now as Head of Data Platform – data has been part of my role for over 17 years.
- What events have you been involved with recently and in what capacity ?
Cannes Lions, Money 20/20, Bett and more recently Big Data London as one of the data advisors. The latter to date has been my favourite due the fact I help play an active role in its design and content I’m proud that it delivers a perfect match to our data industry
- What type of event technology would you like to see improved or developed and why?
Registration Systems. While there are good selections out in the events space their lack of interoperability and technological advancements has been missing or slow over the last 10 years.
- Is there a particular piece of event technology that has impressed or inspired you?
While not an event technology per se – Marketo and Salesforce always impress me.
- What technology do you think is overhyped?
“Event Technology” – yep, as a judge on the Event Technology Awards this may sound controversial but what I mean is that event tech needs to be extendedable and adaptable – too many times it is “cookie cutter” which stifled innovation – when we are all offered the same technology in the same space, by word of mouth or otherwise, there is no differentiator unless you have the capability to adapt. A close second will be Wi-Fi tracking.
- What professional experiences can you draw on to judge the Event Technology Awards?
Over 17 years developing, designing and integrating nearly every tech you can imagine in the exhibitions space (both pre, during and post event)
- What are you most looking forward to as an Event Technology Awards judge?
To get hands on (both technically and otherwise) and to really get under the hood on what will help shape out industry for years to come.
- Name one app you cannot live without and why?
Microsoft Azure and Google BigQuery
The Event Technology Awards ceremony returns to Troxy on November 7, between the two days of Event Tech Live 2018.