Stella Artois, the world’s best-selling Belgian beer brand, has unveiled its bold new 360° Wimbledon campaign. To mark its return as Official Beer of The Championships Wimbledon, Stella Artois has developed a campaign inspired by the personal journeys and modest beginnings of those behind the origins of the world renowned brands – from the first ever Wimbledon champion to Sebastian Artois himself.
The second chapter in the “Be Legacy” drive, the campaign kicks off with a TV ad directed by Andreas Nilsson, a director noted for his cinematic style which is demonstrated in the TV ad of the humble beginnings of Wimbledon and Stella Artois. Taking us back to Victorian London at a time when no one had ever heard of them, the advert playfully shows us that even the biggest legacies have to start somewhere.
Inspired by classic Technicolor movies like Gone with the Wind, the film is set in Victorian London and tells the story of a young man who is trying to sell tickets to a brand new event – which as it turns out, is to the very first Wimbledon. The trouble is, it’s so new, no one has even heard of it, let alone wants a ticket. After being rebuffed by all kinds of colourful Victorian characters, he’s ready to give up. However, his spirits are lifted by an encounter with a bar owner who offers him a taste of an unknown beer from Belgium (an early export from the Artois Breweries). He takes comfort in knowing he’s not the only one trying to turn an unknown name into a lasting legacy.
The fully integrated campaign created by Mother also features outdoor and digital, as well as a fully immersive theatre experience called ‘The Time Portal,’ that will take place over five days in London. Created in collaboration with Olivier Nominated theatre troupe Les Enfants Terribles and Framestore, the creative studio behind Oscar®-winning movie Gravity, the experience will transport audiences back to Victorian London in search of the first Wimbledon.
All activations will bring to life the personal journeys that both Stella Artois and Wimbledon have embarked on, from their humble beginnings to the legacies they are today, with the aim of inspiring consumers to leave their own mark on the world.
“We are thrilled to mark our return as The Official Beer of The Championships Wimbledon with this hugely exciting new campaign,” said Rowan Chidgey, Senior Brand Manager, Stella Artois. “This legendary tennis tournament and our best-selling Belgian beer have shared similar journeys as once unknowns who have distinguished themselves over time. We hope that their stories will help inspire our audience to get out there and make their mark on the world.”
The fully integrated campaign includes:
TVC – ‘Never Heard of It’
- The spot will launch on 13th June on TV, and supported by Facebook-specific films until the end of The Championships.
- The film was shot by Andreas Nilsson and produced by Biscuit Filmworks.
- Created in-studio using the kind of highly-crafted set builds typical of Technicolour.
- Classic period films were used as references in order to create a fantastical image of Victorian London.
- Link to the TVC here: https://youtu.be/R5Qndv3vYWY
- Stella Artois will be the first alcohol brand in the UK to advertise on Snapchat, owning 100% SoV for the three key days of the Wimbledon Live Feed, day one of The Championships and all of finals weekend.
- Stella Artois will continue its partnership with The Championships Wimbledon and Twitter Amplify, sponsoring all of Wimbledon’s official non-play content on Twitter (100% SoV).
- Stella Artois is also taking advantage of Sky Advance technology to actively target those that have watched Wimbledon on the BBC through premium VoD.
- The beer brand worked with consumer data provider Locomizer to aggregate Wimbledon chatter on Twitter to the areas of highest conversation. They will use this data to target the nearest OOH location and select hero on-trade accounts that fall in “super hotspots” to provide additional Wimbledon on-trade activation assets.
- Advertising will be featured on OOH TV through GPM360 and CScreens, including 3,000 screens in bars around the nation and 12 large outdoor screens. The large outdoor screens include Regents Place, Broadgate, Paddington, St Pauls, Meadow Hall Sheffield, Bath, Central St Giles, Wimbledon Fanzone viewing locations and the More London Festival big screen, adjacent to Tower Bridge.
- To further immerse consumers in their humble beginnings, Stella Artois will give beer and tennis fans an incredible opportunity to experience time travel.
- The brand is working with famous production companies; the Olivier nominated Les Enfants Terribles who created the immersive theatre experience Alice’s Adventures Underground and Framestore, the studio behind the Oscar®-winning film Gravity, to bring consumers back to Victorian London for a fantastical interactive adventure discovering Wimbledon and Artois when they were just beginning their journey to greatness.
- The new advertising campaign will accompany Stella Artois’ limited edition Wimbledon packaging which includes a special edition 660ml bottle with a white and red wrap design, as well as a variety of on and off trade activity – giving customers the tools they need to help increase sales throughout the Championships.
Consumers can learn more about the Stella Artois’ sponsorship of The Championships Wimbledon and ‘The Time Portal’ campaign by visiting: http://wimbledon.stellaartois.com/the-time-portal